Thursday, July 15, 2010

Altered Schedules

One of my favorite parts of life in Real Estate is being able to have some control over my schedule. I've never been the type who follows the pack or one who is OK with someone dictating my time. Or anything else for that matter. Spoiled? Most definitely. The idea of being forced into the same place everyday from 9-5 sends me into instant claustrophobia. I need change. I need diversity. I need control over my life!

So when entering this crazy world I thought I was gaining just that. Control. BAH! Little did I know, my sense of responsibility would play games with my sanity. Little did I know, my clients would become the ones in control.

Take today. It's been a long week already. Early mornings. Showings till 7 every night. Barely a free moment. And my house and office bare the battle wounds to prove it. So today I "scheduled" work from home day.... and get the house CLEAN day.

Well, not so fast, Stephanie. Those countless showings this week turned into me writing offers until 10pm last night and a day of organizing and presenting offers today. So much for the house. But here's a little secret.... showings are FREE! We get paid at closings! Ever wonder why Realtors LOVE technology so much? Because things like multiple offer situations and first come, first serve suck away all our control. Because we can't be at our kids school play, writing your offer and showing the other guy the hot house that just came on the market all at the same time. Sweet sweet technology! :)

All sarcasms aside, I am blessed, especially in this market, to be presenting TWO offers today. And all the late nights, lost time with my family, lack of free weekends and "on call" 24 hours a day, 7... well, 6 days a week truly is worth it. I love the feeling I get when someone realizes their dream of home ownership. I've said it before, a home is where we are happy and safe. And in a way, I help bring that to people.

That's enough sap for today. Someone get me a damn house cleaner!

No comments:

Post a Comment