Monday, October 5, 2009

It's my debut!

No one told me what to expect when entering the world of real estate. Actually, I’m quite positive my friends and family thought I had finally gone mad! How was this free spirited, fun loving, personal trainer ever going to make it in business- with deadlines and contracts and RULES! I spent my days chatting, running, throwing weights around, cleaning, gardening. I knew nothing of pushing papers or the nine to five.

Well, the thought barely crossed my mind. You see, as with most things in my life, it all happened so fast. One day I’m reading an article about an upcoming real estate class and the next, I’m sitting in front of an instructor screaming “Read the deed, read the deed, read the deed”.

Now let me just take a moment to discuss the matter of “real estate licensing class”. This is where all you agents out there chuckle and roll your eyes. For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure, here’s how it goes. I’ll be brief. Ridiculous amounts of legal descriptions, technical terms, numbers and equations are thrust at you in a whirl wind of just a few weeks. You rush to the nearest testing center in hopes of not forgetting there are 43,560 square feet in an acre or that fee simple is an estate under which the owner is entitled to unrestricted powers to dispose of the property, and which can be left- Yes, my eyes glazed over at this point once or twice as well! You put on your ear muffs, scoot up to the computer, check and re-check your answers. Then you are spit out on the street with your score card in hand thinking- “Ok, now what?” Little do you know- YOU KNOW NOTHING!

That class might have crammed a lot of information into your over worked brain, but it certainly didn’t teach you what to do with it. It taught you nothing of where to find clients or what to do with them once you did! I know this doesn’t sound good for all those agents out there trying desperately to show their worth. Fighting the battle with buyers and sellers who think they don’t need them or pay them too much. Trust me people, you need that agent! And when you find a good one, hold tight.

So, back to me. I’m a dreamer. I think big. And this time would be no different. I sought out the best office close to home and with much determination and a good amount of hounding they agreed to let me join! For an office that was not taking inexperienced agents, ever- I think I did damn good.

Now, I was lucky to have one of New Hampshire’s top agents take a liking to me. I saddled up to a desk in her office and began to learn just how little I knew. Rule number one- Do as I say, not as I do. Wait a minute? Is this grade school all over again?

The next few months were a crushing blow to my ego and my bank account. We may pay little to get our foot in the door, but our education certainly doesn’t come cheap.

Needless to say, I’ve fought my way through a recession that killed the career of many an agent, learned many lessons, some the hard way, battled stereo types and finally gained a good understanding of just what it is that I do. And here I stand, shaking my head and laughing at it all- sometimes crying. I’m not going to lie. There have been days that have made me want to run for the hills and question my sanity. And there have been days that have brought happy tears to my eyes and people I will forever cherish. I even ran from a house screaming once!

As agents, we see so much! We enter your homes AND your lives. Sometimes we go quite unwillingly, but it’s always an adventure. What better way to survive life than to share it with others? I don’t know what the future will hold, but you are sure to be entertained.

Welcome to “A Day In The Life Of A New Hampshire Real Estate Agent”

No comments:

Post a Comment